THE ADVANCED MEDICAL EXERCISE SPECIALIST (AMES) RESIDENCY
The Advanced Medical Exercise Specialist (AMES) Residency is for the medical exercise or post-rehab professional with at least 2 years’ experience working with clients with chronic medical conditions.
The AMES will take your medical exercise skills and practice management ability to the next level, this allows you to communicate better with medical professionals, market to and reach more clients, produce faster and better outcomes with your clients as well as grow your practice income and profits.
The AMES is your next step in developing competence and confidence to train medical conditions and work with healthcare professionals!!
The 2020’s and 2030’s will see an explosion of medical exercise opportunities, more clients, and referrals requiring greater skills and knowledge of ALL medical exercise professionals. As a medical exercise or post-rehab professional are you ready for the challenges of managing more clients with complicated medical conditions?
WHAT IS THE AMES RESIDENCY?
The AMES residency is a one-year deep dive into Medical Exercise Training (MET). This program will immerse you in medical exercise training information, concepts, strategies and critical thinking so you understand exactly how to apply exercise programming for medical conditions. The AMES has 3 primary learning components:
- 26 Detailed Client Management Sessions
- Unique MET Professional Resources (specifically designed for MedXPROs)
- Two 4-Day onsite workshops in September '23 and March '24
- 60 – 90 Minute live MES Masters training sessions with MET instructors and clients
These 3 learning components provide a unique opportunity to obtain everything you need to completely transition from personal training into medical exercise training. The AMES increases and expands your skill level and knowledge in MET client management, assessment, and exercise techniques as well as other specialized MET skills.
WHO SHOULD ENROLL IN THE AMES?
You are passionate about exercise and believe in its value to enhance the health of your clients? You are committed to keeping up to date with cutting edge research in the field of medical exercise? If any of these things describe you, the Advanced Medical Exercise Specialist Residency is a perfect fit for you and your future.
The AMES is for qualified graduates of METI’s Medical Exercise Program Director, Medical Exercise Specialist and/or Post Rehab Conditioning Specialist programs, as well as corrective exercise specialists, massage therapists, PTAs, OTAs, strength coaches and kinesiologists. This one-year deep dive into medical exercise training will help you take your expertise and skills to a next level.
If you are a Medical Exercise Professional,
please answer these questions?
- Are you working with more challenging and complicated MET clients?
- Are you concerned you might injure a MET client?
- You feel there is more you need to know but cannot find the detailed information necessary?
- You feel like an imposter when it comes to communicating with medical professionals?
- You feel there is something missing with the exercise techniques you are using?
- You want to know more and expand your MET skills and understanding?
- You want to pull everything you’ve learned together into an effective MET system?
AMES LEARNING COMPONENTS
CLIENT MANAGEMENT SESSIONS
The AMES includes 26 DETAILED client management session recordings. These sessions are the foundation of the AMES residency. Each AMES client management training session reviews in-depth MET assessment and exercise skills which provide a greater understanding so you can better train your clients. You will learn the step-by-step sequence of procedures to apply MET assessment and exercise techniques to medical conditions. These 60 - 90 minute demonstration sessions, along with the professional resources and the 4-day onsite workshop(s), will enhance your skills in key areas including:
- MET assessment
- MET exercise techniques
- MET protocols
- MET documentation
- MET program design
- MET progression guidelines
AMES PROFESSIONAL RESOURCES
Developed specifically for AMES residents. These resources are unique and only available in the AMES residency. Each resource is vital and will help you develop your MET skills and effectively apply these to your clients to produce the best possible outcomes.
- Client Management Library – recordings of AMES client management sessions
- MAPPS – Medical Exercise Assessment Protocols and Progression System
- MET Skills Checklist & Assessments – step by step skill procedure checklists
- AMES Office Hours – Thursday evening Q&A sessions for AMES residents
- Client Strategy Sessions – live strategy sessions to develop MET programming for clients
- AMES Virtual Community – access to the MedXPRO Network. 24-hour online community for AMES residents
- MES Practice Management Systems – implementation of practice management systems
- AMES Case Studies – innovative MET program design based on actual MET clients
AMES 4-Day Hands-On Workshop
The AMES 4-Day hands-on workshop is the 3rd component of the AMES learning system. This workshop brings all the learning together from the client management sessions and professional resources into 4 days of hands-on application of MET techniques. We have two 4-day AMES workshop dates for 2023 -24 in Houston, TX at Medical Fitness Pros (MFP). MFP is one of the premier medical exercise facilities in the world.
September 28 - October 1, 2023
March 14 - 17, 2024
You may attend the 4-day workshop as part of the AMES residency program or you may wish to attend JUST the workshop separate from the residency. Registration only for the AMES workshop is $1395. Register below.
AMES 4-DAY WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
Day 1 – Thursday
08:00 – 09:00 Intro
09:00 – 10:30 Medical History
10:30 – Noon Vital Signs
13:00 – 14:00 Functional Outcome Measures
14:00 – 16:45 Manual Muscle Testing
17:00 – 19.00 Goniometric Measurements
Day 2 – Friday
08:00 – 10:00 MET Histology
10:00 – Noon MET Neurology
13:00 – 14:00 Joint Arthrokinematics
14:00 – 17:00 Functional Assessment Scales
18:00 – 20:00 MET Documentation/ Communication
Day 3 – Saturday
08:00 – 10:00 Balance Assessment
10:00 – Noon Gait Analysis/Assessment
13:00 – 16:00 Neurological Assessment
Day 4 – Sunday
08:00 - 16:00 Client Management Training
AMES CLIENT MANAGEMENT SESSION DATES
Client management recordings are released on Thursdays!
April 20th – 6 Point Client Management System
May 4th – Medical History and Red Flag Assessment
May 18th - Histology for Medical Exercise Training
June 1st - Functional Outcome Measures
June 15th – MET Communication & Documentation System
June 29th – MET Goniometric Assessment System
July 13th – MET Manual Muscle Testing System
July 29th – MET Gait Analysis System
August 10th – MET Posture & Imbalance Assessment System
August 24th – MET Gait & Balance Training System
September 7th – MET Neurological Assessment System
September 21st – MET Functional Assessment Scales
October 19th – MET Shoulder Regional/Functional Assessment System
November 2nd – MET Elbow Regional/Functional Assessment System
November 16th – MET Hip Regional/Functional Assessment System
December 7th – MET Knee Regional/Functional Assessment System
January 4th – MET Ankle Regional/Functional Assessment System
January 18th – MET Cervical Regional/Functional Assessment System
February 1st – MET Lumbar Regional/Functional Assessment System
February 15th - Spinal Stability Assessment System
February 29th – MET Scoliosis Management System
March 7th – MET Marketing System
March 21st – MET Medical Relationships System
April 4th – AMES Resident Presentations
April 18th - AMES Graduation
After almost a year, I’ve finally completed the advanced studies of the Advanced Medical Exercise Specialist Residency. I’ve studied and completed many courses over the years, but the MES is the only one that has taught explanations of conditions, protocols and contraindications, testing and tracking tools, in addition, to exercise techniques and management.
I would recommend this course to any fitness professional who is looking to level up their business! The ability to effectively communicate with the medical community and present your findings and processes puts you in a class above the rest.
Big thank you to Dr. Mike and Dr. Thrasher for sharing their knowledge, support, and guidance through this process!
Upon completion of the AMES each graduate will receive formal recognition as an “Advanced Medical Exercise Specialist” (AMES). The credential is more than a lofty title – it separates recipients from their peers by acknowledging their demonstrated skill and understanding above normal within the area of medical exercise training. Those in possession of the AMES will go on to careers in:
- MET Teaching
- Facility Management
- Private Studio Owners
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Corporate Fitness
- Sportsmedicine Facilities
- And more!!
BENEFITS OF THE ADVANCED MEDICAL EXERCISE SPECIALIST:
- Develop advanced assessment skills and guidelines
- Better understand how and when to apply exercise
- Recognize the keys to progress or refer with any condition
- Use the MET practice management systems to increase revenue and referrals
- Understand client management techniques to manage the most complicated MET clients
- Remove all your doubts and reluctance when working with MET clients
- Gain the confidence to community with medical professionals
- Effectively write and send reports to medical providers and document MET sessions
- Consistently apply the appropriate exercise intensity for all medical conditions
- Easily identify the functional outcome measures to review to determine client progress
- Effectively develop short-term and long-term goals for your MET client
- Identify and review the impact of pharmaceuticals on client progression
- Understand how to identify red flags and when to refer to a medical professional
- Confidently identify and promote opportunities to attract MET clients and referrals
- Understand how and when to use social media to promote your outcomes and services
- Install and implement practice management systems to hire additional staff members
The AMES Residency Program was the most challenging learning experience I’ve had the pleasure and good fortune to complete. Articles on Histology, Neurophysiology, and Traumatology were given to read in preparation for the course. This foundational knowledge was a great building block to a deeper understanding of the body's processes in understanding the impact of exercise.
This course helped me focus on a systematic approach starting from the initial intake, to selecting key assessments, dosing of exercises, and communicating to medical professionals with reports.
Shifting my mindset to critically think about function over exercise has changed my approach to program design for the better. The 4-day workshop was pivotal and tied together the information with the application. Literally walking, observing, and moving through the screenings, special tests, and gait patterns improved my confidence in knowing what to do, how to do it, and why!
Concluding the program by presenting our case studies was a great way to put into action what we’ve learned. Knowing the condition, understanding the anatomy involved, functional limitations and demands, current and past treatment and medications decerning key assessments and exercises, and short- and long-term goals, not only helps us build an effective program but also allows us to communicate with our peers.
Dr. Mike and Dr. Thrasher have been absolutely amazing in how they’ve helped me shift my mindset from personal trainer to medical exercise specialist. Every question was meant to provoke critical thinking and help focus on the details while communicating with concise brevity. I cannot thank them enough for all their time and effort invested in me and my fellow graduates!
I highly recommend this program as well as the MES for anyone wanting to improve their skills and knowledge in managing medical conditions with exercise.
I am a AAHFRP/METI certified MES, PRCS or MEPD?
Yes ___ No (See Option 2)
YES, I want to join the ADVANCED MEDICAL EXERCISE SPECIALIST RESIDENCY and I am a AAHFRP/METI MES, PRCS or MEPD!!
(You will need your certification number to register)
If you do not have a certification number select option #2
Yes, I want to join the ADVANCED MEDICAL EXERCISE SPECIALIST RESIDENCY!!
I am not a AAHFRP/METI MES, PRCS or MEPD
No certification number needed
I ONLY want to attend the 4-Day AMES Workshop in Houston, TX
Advanced Medical Exercise Specialist Workshops – Houston, TX
Sept 28 - Oct 1, 2023
March 14 - 17, 2024
Medical Fitness Pros (MFP) of Houston, TX will host two 4-day workshops in 2023 and 2024. MFP is one of the first facilities dedicated solely to medical exercise training. Since 2012, when it opened its doors, MFP has provided the best in MET services to the Houston community and medical professionals. Attend the AMES workshop and see how an actual MET facility works. Seeing is believing and it will make a HUGE difference when you get back home!!
Register for the Advanced Medical Exercise Specialist Now!!
Don’t wait……medical exercise training will grow exponentially over the next 20 years. Here are the stats:
- The most common total joint replacement procedure in the United States is the total knee replacement (about 700,000 a year) followed by total hip replacements (about 400,000 a year). Each of these clients requires MET after physical therapy is done.
- Spine surgeries have grown significantly in the past decade. 650,000 to 700,000 spinal surgeries are performed per year, roughly 280,000 to 300,000 are done on an outpatient basis. Each of these clients’ needs a supervised exercise program after physical therapy is over.
- It is estimated diabetes affects 30.3 million people in the United States. 73.6% of individuals aged 18 years or older with diabetes, also have hypertension. Each of these clients’ needs an ongoing exercise program and lifestyle education.
- The number of cancer survivors continues to increase because of the aging of the population as well as advances in early cancer detection and treatment. Most of these clients will need medical exercise training to return to their previous level of function after chemo, radiation or surgery. Each of these clients will benefit from medical exercise training.
- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have strokes. About 610,000 of these are first time strokes. About 185,000 strokes occur in those with a previous stroke. 90% of these clients need a structured exercise program after PT and OT are concluded.
- Thousands of Covid – 19 survivors will need training to improve and restore their function.
Every indicator says…..Medical Exercise Training will grow well into 2030’s…are you ready??
You may attend the 4-day workshop as part of the AMES residency program or you may wish to attend JUST the workshop separate from the residency. Registration only for the AMES workshop is $1395. Scroll down to register!!
AMES 4-DAY WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
Day 1 – Thursday
8 – 9 Intro
9 – 10:30 Medical History
10:30 – Noon Vital Signs
1 – 2 p Functional Outcome Measures
2 – 4:45 Manual Muscle Testing
5 – 7 Goniometric Measurements
Day 2 – Friday
8 – 10 MET Histology
10 – Noon MET Neurology
1 – 2 Joint Arthrokinematics
2 – 5 Functional Assessment Scales
6 – 8 MET Documentation/Communication
Day 3 – Saturday
8 – 10 Balance Assessment
10 – Noon Gait Analysis/Assessment
1 – 4 Neurological Assessment
Day 4 – Sunday
8 - 4 Client Mgmt Training